Department of Geography
Institute for Research on Labor and Employmet
2521 Channing Way #5555 Rm. 308
Berkeley, CA 94720
Near Salinas, CA (1974)
We are pleased to announce the formation of a new research and programmatic center at UC Berkeley devoted to the study of the State of California. The CSC was established by a group of eminent faculty and staff who felt that scholarship and teaching on California needed a home on campus, in order that they might be promoted with greater vigor, cooperation, and direction.
The goals of the Center are:
- To advance scholarly research on the past and present of the State of California, unbounded by disciplinary restrictions
- To promote understanding of California in all its aspects, including nature, culture, institutions, politics, science and technology
- To provide better guidance on issues of moment for the state and its people
- To promote the teaching and discussion of California at the university, better to prepare our students to be knowledgeable citizens and leaders for tomorrow
- To provide the incomparable Bancroft Library archives on California and the West with an allied research and teaching arm
- To complement the research program of the Institute of Industrial Relations with wide-ranging studies on the welfare of the people of California
The California Studies Center is based at the Institute for Research on Labor and Employment at UC Berkeley.