IRLE eNews, Summer 2010: The Year in Review
Labor Project for Working Families - Academic Year, Fall 2009-Spring 2010
Resources & Publications
- Produced Know Your Rights! Family Leave Laws in California, a guide for California labor unions to help shop stewards, union representatives and organizers get the facts about California's family leave laws; understand the difference between federal and state laws and how they how they interact with each other; and advocate for members' rights.
- Co-authored report Family-Friendly Workplaces –Do Unions Make a Difference? with the UC Berkeley Center for Labor Research and Education (CLRE) showing that unionized workplaces have better work family policies.
Awards & Grants
- 2009 Caring for the Caregiver Award from the Los Angeles Caregiver Resource Center in recognition of the Labor Project's efforts to advocate for and support working families faced with the challenges of caregiving.
- Two year grant from The California Wellness Foundation to expand and strengthen the work of the California Work and Family Coalition.
- $150,000 from the Ford Foundation's $2 million grant to the Family Values @ Work consortium for the Labor Project to coordinate the efforts of the California Work and Family Coalition in advancing family friendly workplace policies in California.
- Participated locally in a coordinated national action to protest Walmart's negative sick days policy as part of a long-term campaign to win paid sick days for all workers in California.
- Testified about family friendly workplace policies at a hearing of the Legislative Women's Caucus and the Assembly Labor and Employment Committee on the Shriver Report: A Woman's Nation Changes Everything and a hearing of the Senate Labor Committee on California's Paid Family Leave program.
- Coordinated testimony and support for a hearing of the Assembly Labor and Employment Committee and the Assembly Health Committee on public health in the workplace, particularly around the impact of paid sick days on the spread of communicable diseases like the H1N1 virus.
- Participated in a national convening of state leaders on work-family issues, organized by the National Partnership for Women and Families and the Family Values @ Work Consortium, to strategize state and federal efforts on policies like paid sick days and paid family leave.
Presentations & Trainings
Labor Project staff participated in and presented keynotes, panels and workshops at regional and national labor and work family events including:
- International Labor Communications Association 2009 Convention
- AFL-CIO 2009 Convention
- 2009 Teamster Women's Conference
- Regional and national conferences of the Laborers' International Union of North America (LIUNA)
- Coalition of Labor Union Women (CLUW) 2009 National Convention
- United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) National Women's Network Convention
- Community Policy Forum: Unions Role in Creating 21st Century Workplace Policies to Support Working Families, co-hosted by the Labor Project, Empire State College (NY) and Work Family 2010.
- UC Berkeley Henderson Center - Reproductive Justice Conference
- California Employment Development Department's Symposium on Paid Family Leave
- CWA District 9 Annual Conference
- CWA District 9 Women's Committee Meeting
- California Working Families Policy Summit
- UFCW Women's Network Meeting
- Berger Marks Foundation Women's Summit
- National Union of Public and General Employees' Quality of Women's Lives Conference (Ottawa, Canada)
- AFSCME District Council 57 Annual Leadership Conference
- CWA Regional Women's Network Meeting
LPWF In the News
Peaceful Revolution: Champion Real Workplace Flexibility
Huffington Post, April 5, 2010
KQED Radio, April 2, 2010
Critics say Wal-Mart Sick-Pay Policy Puts Public at Risk
Oakland Tribune, March 1, 2010
Viewpoints: State, Businesses Must Recognize Workplace Gender Shift
The Sacramento Bee, October 31, 2009
Opinion: Congress should pass law strengthening unions
San Jose Mercury News, August 26, 2009
The Union Difference
Work and Family Blog (Sloan Work and Family Research Network), July 29, 2009
How to Get to Work-Life Balance
DMI Blog, July 28, 2009
Wake-Up Call for GOP's "Values" Hypocrites: Unions Are Pro-Family, Report Finds
In These Times Blog, July 17, 2009
Unions Make for a Much More Family-Friendly Workplace
SEIU Blog, July 16, 2009
Unions Help Make Family Friendly Workplaces
AFL-CIO Blog, July 16, 2009