About the IRLE Library
The Institute for Research on Labor and Employment Library (IRLEL) is an Affiliated Library of the UC Berkeley campus. It serves faculty, staff, students, members of the Institute for research on Labor and Employment (formerly the Institute of Industrial Relations), other researchers in the UC system, and the general public. Outreach services are of special import.
All visitors including library patrons must use this intercom to enter the building. You must look up the Library on the intercom directory under “L”
HOW TO ENTER THE LIBRARY
- Using the directory instructions as shown on the intercom, find "Library" listed under "L," and enter the code that is shown.
- If no one picks up and you reach the voicemail, please hang up and try again in a few minutes.
- The voicemail will announce any special hours that may be in effect.
- NOTE: The Library may not admit new patrons after 4:50 pm (Monday-Thursday) or 3:50 pm (Friday)
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
- You may also contact the IRLE Library and make an appointment, both for reference service or simply to charge out a book.
- You do not need to make an appointment to use the library during our regular hours.
- Monday – Thursday: 9 am – 12 pm, 1 pm – 5 pm
- Friday: 9 am – 12 pm: 1 pm – 4 pm
The IRLE Library’s holdings are listed in OskiCat, UC Bekeley’s main library catalog.
NOTE: The IRLE Library does not use Auto-Circulation, and so OskiCat screens will not reflect whether a book is checked out or not.
Melvyl is the UC System-wide catalog, with over 30 million records. Melvyl also reflects the holdings of many member libraries beyond the UC System.Other Library Catalogs
The Library conducts training sessions and offers research support for its key on-campus constituencies and also for the Labor Movement. It maintains strong links with community groups, and staff consult widely with academics and citizen-researchers interested in labor issues, labor economics, and organization studies.> Go to Research Support and Reference Page
The Library's print collections number in excess of 45,000 volumes, and are housed at the IRLE, UC Berkeley. Sections of the collection are stored at the Northern Regional Library Facility. Collections are catalogued in UC Berkeley's Library Pathfinder and in the California Digital Library.
In addition to offering reference service and print collections, the Library also manages the Web publishing efforts of the IRLE units. As part of that mission, the Library prepares digital versions of working papers, digital labor art and other Web-based resources.> Go to Collections
The Library oversees a series of born-digital and digitized collections, including the complete publications of the California Labor Federation, AFL-CIO, museum exhibits, and more.> Go to Digital Collections
Terence K. Huwe
Director of Library and Information Resources
Library Operations Manager
Elizabeth del Rocío Camacho
University of California, Berkeley
2521 Channing Way, #5555
Berkeley, CA 94720-5555